That minimizes the stress on both the video card and the motherboard. Try to avoid touching anything other than the edges of the video card or by the rear metal bracket. Some retention mechanisms will push the front of the video card up a little when you release the mechanism. If not, then you can start the video card moving upwards by sticking a finger below the front of the video card and pulling up a little.
If you’re installing a PCIcard then there are probably a few to choose from. There are slight differences between PCI slots but the video card should work in any of them. Most PCI-Express motherboards only have one PCI-Express x16slot but some gamer-oriented motherboards have two. If you have one of those dual PCI-Express x16 motherboards then you should consult your documentation on how to install the video card. There are usually restrictions on which slot to use if you only have one video card.
What Is A Video Driver, And How To Install It?
How do I find my video card drivers?
How can I find out which graphics card I have in my PC? 1. Click Start.
2. On the Start menu, click Run.
3. In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
4. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens. Click the Display tab.
5. On the Display tab, information about your graphics card is shown in the Device section.
Newer video cards use a 6 Pin PCI-Express cable. If your video card has an auxiliary power connector then find a matching spare power cable coming from your power supply and plug it in.
Most hardware drivers that come with your computer—or through Windows Update—are fine. However, we do make an exception for graphics drivers for your NVIDIA, AMD, or even Intel graphics hardware.
- On paper, this software means you don’t have to navigate this process manually – but sometimes this can cause issues.
- This means you’re free to install the drivers modem drivers you want rather than the ones Windows believes you want.
- If the update drivers for the display adapter on the website is compatible with the VAIO notebook, please download and install them.
- Below this and to the right is a button that enables Windows to install drivers.
- Nvidia drivers are partnered with GeForce Experience, a driver update tool that handles driver installations automatically.
Be careful not to bend any components on either the video card or the motherboard while doing this. There’s lots of little electronics thingies sticking up from both and they don’t like being pushed. The rear of the video card can be started upwards by sticking a finger underneath the rear of the card and pulling.
If you’re installing two video cards then you’ll probably have to move some small circuit boards or jumpers around on the motherboard before installing the video cards. The motherboard and video card documentation will explain how to do it.
Will my power supply run my graphics card?
Even if you have PCI Express x16 slot and plenty of room, you’ll need extra power for most graphics cards. Your power supply is likely to have PCI-E power connectors, but they may be bundled up and tied out of the way if no graphics card is currently fitted.
Installing A Driver
Or you can push upwards on the video connector sticking out the back of the video card. It may take quite a bit of force to get a video card moving but they come out very easily once they’ve moved up a little.